One of the joys of living in 2020 is that you can work out without having to leave your home. There’s a wide variety of exercise machines available in the market. Each machine is designed to target specific muscle groups in the body. What makes these machines great is their efficient design. They’re made to help maximize the efficiency of their user’s workout. Today, we’re going to take a look at recumbent exercise bikes. Specifically, the best recumbent bike for short legs in 2020. Let’s quickly go through some great picks and then head over to the buyer’s guide.
If you do not have time for the gym and would prefer to meet your cardio goals within the comfort of your own home, then you can look into the Marcy Magnetic Recumbent bike as a potential answer to your problems.
- You can adjust the seat of the bike and move it back and forth in a manner that is able to cater to people of all sizes and lengths. So, regardless of whether you are too tall or too short, this bike can be adjusted to become comfortable for you.
- It comes with a display screen that will keep track of the amount of time being spent on the bike, the total distance being covered, and the number of calories burned in the process of using the bike.
- There is a tension knob in this bike, and this comes in 8-present tension options, so you can increase the intensity of your workout as you please by tinkering with the tension knob.
- You will also be provided with wheels that can be placed on the sides of the bike, allowing you to be able to easily move it around as opposed to having to lift it.
- The features are a little old-school if you compare them to the price of the bike.
Contenders For The Best Recumbent Bike For Short Legs in 2020
- Marcy NS-716R
- Exerpeutic 400XL
- Marcy ME-709
- Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B901
- Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RB1117
- Exerpeutic 900XL
Think of this recumbent bike as a more advanced version of the one we previously discussed above, and you’ll understand what we mean as we go into the pros and cons.
- It happens to be a semi-recumbent design, and this is what allows for the seat to be folded and make for better entry and exit.
- It comes with a large LCD screen that will keep track of time, distance covered, heart rate and total calories burned.
- The seat comes with a wider cushion and backrest, aiming for better comfort.
- The bike can even be moved and turned into a desk chair as well, allowing you to work and keep your legs busy at the same time as well.
- The design is a bit bulky, so it is not nice to look at visually.
The coolest thing about this particular recumbent bike is that it is built to have all of the same features as its normal counterparts, but at the same time, it is compact. So, it does not look bulky and it does not take up a lot of space.
- The pedals are not only counterbalanced, but they are also weighted, which means that they will help keep your feet in place and allow you to exercise smoothly.
- The tension knobs come with 8 different resistance levels, so you can adjust your bike to be at a difficulty level of your choice as you move on and want to make your workout more intense.
- The seats, including both the cushion and backrest and designed to be both bigger and more comfortable.
- The fact that this particular recumbent bike is so compact might not be as great for people of diverse sizes, so it will not be considered an inclusive bike.
If you are looking to really work on your leg muscles and make some serious fitness progress, then this bike might just be one for you.
- It comes with a resistance knob, and you can adjust the resistance levels to your liking. You can even use the friction resistance knob for your flywheel if you are really looking to pump things up.
- It comes with a 2-way multi-grip handlebar that you can adjust according to your own height and cycling needs. This ensures a better grip and allows for the handlebar to remain ergonomically friendly.
- It comes with a large flywheel that will help you maintain your momentum and stability, ensuring that you have a smooth and consistent workout pace going.
- Levelers will ensure that your bike continues to stay steady and stable on different surfaces, allowing you to have a balanced workout without worrying about your bike moving or becoming unstable.
- This is a heavy bike, so transporting it will definitely be a hassle.
- It does come with a slightly heavy price point as well.
Sunny health and fitness have been in the business for over 15 years, so they do have a line of reliable products that you can go to. If you are looking for recumbent exercise bikes, then it might benefit you to consider giving this one a shot.
- This recumbent exercise bike happens to come with a folding frame which is convenient because it means that you can simply move your bike and stow it away when not in use.
- The seats, apart from being comfortable, are also adjustable so you can adjust the machine according to your own height and level of comfort.
- It comes with wheels, so you can move the bike away with ease without having to lift it.
- The foot pedals happen to come with straps, and their surface is designed to prevent skidding, making for a more stable pedaling experience.
- Some people might not mind the pink frame, but it is definitely not for everybody.
- The design is not the most visually pleasing to look at.
You can think of this particular model as an upgrade of the Exerpeutic recumbent exercise bike model we had previously talked about above.
- This recumbent exercise bike happens to come with an extended weight capacity. So, this bike can handle up to 300lbs of weight.
- It comes with a one-year warranty by the manufacturer.
- The V-belt will not allow for a noisy workout, so you can continue to do your work out and not have to worry about noise interference in case you are also watching TV or doing some other activity.
- With product dimensions at 30.9 x 15.2 x 21.6 inches, it might not work well in small spaces. So, this machine, given how it is a little bigger than average, would require extra space.
Before you head out to buy a recumbent exercise bike, you need to be sure whether this exercise machine is right for you or not. To figure this out, one must first fully understand what recumbent bikes do.
What is a Recumbent Bike?
Explained simply, a recumbent exercise bike is an upright exercise bike, but better. This machine is made for moderate to intensive cardio sessions. Along with cardio, it’s also designed for strengthening your major leg muscles. Bike exercise machines are designed to simulate the effects of riding a real bike. However, unlike a real bike, they remain in one place when you pedal. This lets you work on your legs without having to go out of your home. Bike riding is a great hobby, however, not everyone has the space to ride a bicycle. Going on a main road on a bike can be dangerous. In some areas, the weather makes it really hard to ride frequently as well.
Now, how does a recumbent bike perform better than an upright bike? Recumbent bikes are designed to allow their users to recline backwards. This minor tweak in their design makes a huge difference in terms of performance. By reclining backwards, users are able to eliminate a number of problems that are common in upright bikes. The biggest one being discomfort. Upright bikes place pressure on the lower back and crotch area. This pressure can make longer sessions on an indoor cycling bike really uncomfortable. A workout that causes discomfort in the wrong areas of your body isn’t a good workout. A reclined seating position alleviates this pressure. As a result, longer sessions on a recumbent bike feel comfortable.
Apart from dealing with discomfort, a recumbent bike also makes your workout more efficient. Being in a reclined position allows a user to engage their leg muscles more effectively. This makes your workout more qualitative.
Benefits of a Recumbent Bike
The recumbent bike design is all about increasing user comfort and efficiency. What does this translate into in terms of working out? Users can workout on this machine for longer periods of time. By subjecting their body to a constant and steady pressure, you can burn fat more effectively.
Recumbent bikes offer a low impact workout. This makes them superb for people with joint pains. The lower back remains free from any kind of stress thanks to the seating angle. The placement of the pedals reduce impact on your knees and ankles as well. The reclined design of the bike also makes it safer. Users are far less likely to injure themselves while using this bike.
This bike is far better at working on your lower body. It targets all the major muscles of your legs and your glutes as well. The best part is that you don’t have to deal with soreness in the rest of your body after using it.
Things to look For
When it comes to exercise equipment, body proportions are really important. In order for an exercise machine to provide you with effective workouts, it needs to suit your body dimensions. This holds true for recumbent bikes as well. After all, one of the most notable features of a recumbent bike is its ability to fit the user like a glove. A recumbent bike molds itself around the user in order to create a natural seating position.
Short people have a few things that they need to worry about while buying a recumbent bike. The first being whether or not a bike is adjustable. You would want to purchase a bike that lets you adjust the distance between the seat and pedals. The last thing you’d want is to struggle in order to reach the pedals. Doing so will make your workout less effective. It will also eliminate the purpose of having a recumbent bike since you won’t be able to maintain a comfortable seating posture.
The overall stability of a bike is important as well. A recumbent bike should be able to bear the wait of its user and distribute it evenly. A decent bike will remain in one place even during the most grueling sessions. A bike with low stability may start wobbling, and it may even tip over. The stability of a recumbent bike depends on its center of mass. Bikes that have a heavier base are more stable.
Another important feature can be the amount of versatility a bike has to offer. This can be determined by the number of resistance levels options available. Some bikes give you the option to adjust the angle of recline as well.
These are all the things that you should keep in mind before buying a recumbent bike. Knowing as much as possible about the product will help you make better buying decisions. You shouldn’t forget the fact that these bikes don’t come cheap. The last thing you want is to make a bad purchase and end up wasting your money. The bike that you buy should be worth your money. It should be able to continue giving you value for a number of years.
Recumbent bikes can be a great investment. They make intensive cardio and lower body training practical. They also ensure that every workout session of yours is as efficient as possible.