People can say what they want, but we all know that our teenage years are one of the most confusing times of our lives. There is quite a lot going on and there are a lot of things which we are trying to learn and figure out as we go along. Apart from that, we have to balance school, friends, studies, families and our health routine as well, and our health and fitness usually end up getting sidelined, this is why you should look into buying fitness tracker for teens so that you are able to keep up with the bare minimum at least.
The Garmin Vivofit Jr. 2 is a fitness tracker that is designed specifically for children. It is created with the purpose to monitor a child’s fitness activity level and to help them become accustomed to a fit lifestyle.
- This fitness tracker is known for being incredibly user-friendly. So, it is easy for younger children to use in order to enter data and so on.
- It comes in a variety of skins, so there are a number of different colorful designs that can be used to attract children.
- The display screen is big and allows for good visibility.
- The activity tracking abilities of this particular model would not be considered the best in the market.
- The limited fitness tracker abilities will not make for a good impact.
Contenders For The Top Fitness Tracker For Teens in 2020
The LETSCOM fitness tracker is an inclusive activity tracker that can be used by people of all ages, both young and old.
- This fitness tracker is known for being very aesthetically pleasing since the sleek design gives a very clean look.
- It charges quickly, so you will not have to wait as well.
- It is relatively comfortable to wear.
- It has a long battery life as well, so it will last you a long time.
- The display has a feature that automatically turns off after 3 seconds, which can be a bit tedious.
- The display is not as clear in daylight.
- It might not be the most practical option for people who want to seriously keep track of their health.
This model was released in 2016, and is considered to be amongst the slimmest Fitbit design yet. It is a relatively expensive model, and is used more by people that want to seriously track their health.
- Like the name suggests, this model will monitor your heart rate 24/7, keeping track of both your usual resting heart rate, and then your heart rate when you are active and so on.
- The sleep monitor will automatically keep track of the number of hours you are asleep, and you can then rate the quality of your sleep and so on.
- This particular Fitbit is not waterproof, so you cannot wear it when you are swimming or doing any other activities that involve water sports.
- It does not come with a timer, so you cannot control or monitor how long you need to exercise or cool down etc.
The Garmin Vivofit 3 is the third model to be introduced, and it does happen to boast a number of features that its previous models does not have.
- The biggest advantage that comes with the Garmin Vivofit 3 is the battery life. This particular model has a really long battery life, so it will last you all day.
- The battery is disposable, so you will not have to worry about charging your Fitbit for at least the first year.
- The split screen feature allows you to be able to view two different activity monitors at once.
- It can be worn like a wrist band.
- Activity might not be detected as properly if you are not moving correctly or intensely enough, so data collected might not be as accurate at times.
- The Garmin Vivofit needs to be connected to a Garmin Connect before it can be used properly.
Why Teenagers Have It Tough
Our adolescence and our entire teen period are racked with a lot of different issues and things that need to be taken care of. When we enter our teens, we are already dealing with puberty, and with puberty comes our awareness which transforms into an awareness regarding sexual and romantic attraction, which can get pretty messy the first few times. Apart from that, they also have to deal with forming an identity of their own and try to figure out who they are and what they want to be. So, apart from the many dilemmas, the hormonal cocktail that is constantly fluctuating inside them, and then school and home demands, most teenagers are too tired to think about their physical health apart from the usual gym class they have at school. So, it is okay to cut teenagers a little slack because they are still in the process of figuring it all out.
Physical Activity For Teenagers
It is safe to say that most teenagers are not as physically active as they should be. This is because they are too busy balancing 20 other things, and given how a lot of them are usually working part-time, they end up having no time to manage a stable fitness routine. So, the most physical activity they might get is from the weekly gym class in school, and sports club in case they do happen to be in one. This lack of physical activity becomes a problem in the long run since it leads to lethargy, weight gain, general dissatisfaction, and agitation as well.
Why Physical Activity is So Important
Physical activity and having a proper fitness routine is something that is important for people of all ages. This is because a lack of physical activity and movement is known to lead to many other health issues, and being fit and used to physical activity from a young age reduces the likelihood of a number of serious illnesses including heart and vascular diseases. Plus, teenagers already have hormonal fluctuations going on, and these fluctuating hormones usually lead to a number of issues including irritability, low self-esteem, and a generally negative attitude. By exercising regularly and having an established fitness routine, they are able to sweat out their pent up energy, and at the same time, stimulate the release of different endorphins, which will have them feeling in a better mood immediately.
How a Fitness Tracker Can Help
Most of us usually equate fitness trackers to something adults, and especially middle-aged adults would wear. However, fitness trackers are not really restricted by age or gender, so really anyone can wear activity tracker and make use of what the activity tracker has to offer. A fitness tracker or a fitness monitor is a device that you wear on your person. You then go about your day and let the activity tracker just monitor your level of activity along with a number of other things. Now, depending on the model and type of fitness trackers, they should be able to do a number of things including:
- Activity tracking
- How many calories you have burnt today
- How many calories you have consumed each meal, and how many you have remaining for the rest of your day
- Monitoring the distance you have covered while walking or running today
- Heart rate monitor
- Sleep tracking
- Your stress rate/ level of stress etc.
So, there is quite a lot that fitness trackers can do for you, and if you take full advantage of all of the features, you can get a comprehensive picture of your overall health and lifestyle.
How You Can Use Fitness Trackers
Now, if you are a teenager that wants to keep track of their health and wants to make sure that they are living a relatively healthy lifestyle, an activity tracker can be seriously beneficial for you. If you are unsure whether or not your current routine is active enough, you can wear the activity tracker for a few weeks and go about your regular day as you normally would with it, and then check with the fitness tracker to see whether you are getting enough activity and movement with respect to your age, height and body type. If the tracker says that you are doing fine, then you do not have to change anything. However, if the tracker does report problems and asks for a change in routine, then you should probably change some aspects of your lifestyle so that you are getting the necessary amount of exercise and activity for your age. If you happen to be someone that is training for an event or trying to work towards a certain fitness goal, you can punch that goal into your fitness tracker and then have it map your progress every single day and then let you know whether your training is leading to any improvements and whether or not you are moving towards the target you had set in the tracker. This way you have the numbers and the facts in front of you and are then able to make the necessary changes and additions that you need in order to better yourself and your overall health and lifestyle as well.