We could all use with some more time outdoors regardless of our age or wherever we are in life. It could really end up doing both our physical and our mental health a world of good. Hiking is just one of the many ways we can go outdoors, spend some time in nature, and make an exercise out of it. Of course, if you want to excel at hiking or just track your progress over time, you should consider buying a fitness tracker for that.
This smartwatch will look great on your wrist no matter what you wear it with. Its sport watch look really makes the watch stand out. The Garmin fenix watch’s great looks are combined with a robust body and plenty of functionality. The watch face is designed to be readable even in intense sunlight. The premium version of this watch has a sapphire lens on its watch face to increase scratch resistance. Whether you’re an outdoor adventurer or an athlete, this watch is going to give you a lot of value.
The watch features built-in navigation capabilities. It has great battery life and has its own storage for music as well. It is a superb device for people looking for a phone free experience. The watch is ideal for use in rough environments.
- The watch has built-in mapping and navigation capabilities. It shows full color maps that are great for finding you way when combined with the watch’s GPS capabilities.
- The watch uses a variety of navigation technologies in order to provide in-depth navigation information.
- You can track a variety of performance metrics while wearing the watch. It has a heart rate monitor that keeps track of your body in real time.
- The watch can store up to 500 songs in it.
- The watch includes Garmin Pay; a contactless payment solution that lets you make payments by simply waving your watch.
- This fitness watch does not have a touchscreen display.
- The watch’s interface is quite confusing.
Contenders For The Top 5 Best Fitness Tracker For Hiking in 2020
- Garmin fēnix 5 Plus
- Suunto 9 Baro
- Garmin Instinct
- Casio Pro Trek Smart WSD-F30
- Suunto Traverse Graphite
The Suunto 9’s body combines a traditional watch form factor with modern highlights. This makes the sleek watch look great on your wrist. This is a fitness watch made with outdoor enthusiasts kept in mind. The watch’s waterproof body is quite robust, it can go as deep as a 100m in water. It can also take a beating without any signs of damage. The tough body of this watch houses plenty of functionality. The watch’s battery life can last for a whopping 120 hours.
It also has over 80 different sports modes in it. This vast range of sports modes makes the device useful for almost every athlete out there. The device can track your activity at all times, including when you’re asleep. You can even connect with a variety of sports services to further enhance the capabilities of the watch.
- The watch features great waterproofing.
- Its battery life can last for 120 hours, making it ideal for outdoor enthusiasts.
- The watch’s color display accepts touchscreen input. This makes interacting with the watch easier.
- You get over 80 sports modes built into this fitness watch.
- You can try out different premium apps with this device.
- The watch’s accuracy is not the best.
- You can get better fitness watches in the same price point.
Garmin has been in the fitness industry for quite some time and they’re known for making high quality products. Their fitness watches are great for anyone who is into sports or outdoor adventuring. The Garmin Instinct is an incredibly robust watch that is designed to withstand all the elements. It is built to US military standard 810G, making it shock, thermal, and water resistant.
The watch has a host of navigation instruments in it that allow for in-depth tracking. You can even connect the watch with your smartphone in order to receive notifications. The watch can last for 14 days in smartwatch mode. And if you’re going off the grid, its UltraTrac Battery saver mode will make the watch last for 40 days.
- The watch is incredibly robust.
- Its GPS is highly accurate and can be used to retrace your previously used tracks. The device’s navigation is superb as well thanks to its use of multiple tracking technologies.
- You can get real time information about your body as you train. The device has a list of preloaded profiles for different kinds of activities.
- You can connect the device with your phone and keep a track of your notifications without having to take your phone out every time.
- The watch’s screen is small.
- The heart rate monitor is not always accurate.
Casio has been in the watch making industry for a very long time. And ever since smartwatches became a thing, Casio has started making smartwatches as well. The Pro Tek is a fully functional smartwatch that is designed with outdoor capabilities. It has a rugged exterior that gives the watch a degree of durability. The Pro Tek can withstand being submerged in 50m of water. Its OLED has high visibility in bright areas and the bezel offers a degree of protection from shock.
This is not a hardcore outdoor smartwatch, but it is a good option for people who want a quality smartwatch that can be worn outdoors. The watch features full color maps, GPS tracking, and location memory. The watch has a battery saver mode as well for when you want to keep it on for longer. During its battery saver mode, the watch can give you up to 3 days of battery life.
- The watch looks great and it is quite responsive.
- The watch connects seamlessly with android smartphones.
- It’s robust enough to be worn while doing heavy duty work.
- The watch’s battery life is not amazing. It only lasts for a day without it’s battery saver more on.
This is the ideal watch for anyone looking for a simple yet reliable device for their time outdoors. The watch has a sleek design that makes it look good whether you’re outdoors or in your office. Suunto has designed this watch with trekking enthusiasts kept in mind. It has an amazing GPS system and features like saving you’re the routes that you’ve walked on.
Apart from having great tracking abilities, you can use this watch to keep track of the sun’s movements as well. It can accurately tell you how much daylight you have left during your adventures. You also get an astounding 100 hours of battery time. The watch can be paired with your smartphone for receiving texts and push notifications as well.
- The watch has 100 hours of battery life.
- It is ideal for trekking thanks to its superb navigation features.
- The watch has a daylight tracking feature as well.
- You can pair the watch with your smartphone for viewing notifications and push messages as well.
- The watch doesn’t have any in-depth performance tracking features.
- The GPS’ tracking is not perfectly accurate.
- The watch’s app interface is very unintuitive.
What’s So Great About Hiking?
Hiking is a pretty loved recreational activity amongst people throughout the world. Of course, some people absolutely hate hiking, and then there are people that prefer trekking, which is essentially more complicated and goes on for a longer period of time than hiking, and that is fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter. However, the hiking community is still pretty large and you will find groups of hikers every weekend on any trail that you go to.
Hiking is great because it gets us outdoors, and it also helps to release healthy endorphins. Since hiking is a strenuous physical activity, it means that it works as a workout as well. Actually, hiking is considered to be a very powerful form of cardio, and it comes with a number of health benefits including:
- Increased stamina and endurance, especially if you are hiking in higher altitude areas.
- Helping to build muscle, especially leg muscles.
- Helping your bone density so making your bones stronger.
- Improving overall blood sugar and blood pressure.
- Lowering the risk of heart disease and so on.
So, it is safe to say that hiking helps you improve your overall health, and because it is such a strenuous activity that involves weight-bearing and a number of other things, you end up getting a great sense of accomplishment every time you are able to conquer a trail. So, it is an activity that comes with its share of victories that lead you to a sense of fulfillment, and a boost in your overall self-esteem as well.
Getting Better at Hiking
Hiking is not something you will excel at right off the bat. It is an activity that will make you really tired really quickly at first, and you might find yourself getting exhausted within the first hour and it might become really hard for you to catch your breath while you are hiking, and that is actually normal for beginners.
Everyone struggles with hiking at first, and they only start improving at it once they start doing it regularly and keep challenging themselves as well. So, if you are someone who wants to improve in hiking, then you are going to have to put in a lot of effort and dedication. A number of changes you can make includes:
- Buying the right clothes for hiking. A lot of people end up going in jeans or other clothes that just restrict movement and tire them out. So, buy the right clothes, and especially the right shoes if you want to go hiking properly.
- You do not want to start out with more complicated trails immediately. You are supposed to start with smaller trails or simpler ones, and then start moving onto more progressively difficult ones. This way you get to actually build your stamina gradually without overexerting or potentially injuring yourself.
- It is always recommended to have a more experienced hiker go along with you the first few times so that you can learn from them and to make sure that you are not making any mistake.
How Fitness Trackers Play Into This
Now, you might be wondering where fitness trackers play into this equation, but they actually do. Fitness trackers, also known as activity monitors help you monitor your levels of activity in various forms throughout the day, and this includes the distance you have covered, how many steps you have taken, the calories you have burned, how many calories have you consumed, heart rate monitor and so on.
There are GPS watches that are designed specifically for monitoring hiking activities. So, if you are going hiking, your fitness tracker will count on the number of steps you have taken, the altitude of the area you are hiking at, how many calories you managed to burn and how long you have been hiking for in a single go. As your hiking tracker will continue to monitor this information over time, and has enough data from a number of different hiking trips, it will end up giving you a comprehensive overview where it will map out your progress and let you know whether or not your hiking skills, stamina or overall performance has actually been improving or not. This is actually really great because you actually get a proper display of facts and can objectively state whether or not you are getting better at hiking. If the progress reports do show improvement, then you know you are on the right track and know what you are doing. However, if the reports do not show any improvement and the results are just stagnant, then you know that you are doing something wrong and that you need to change things up in order to actually get better at hiking.
A hiking GPS watch is actually different from normal fitness trackers since it is designed to monitor just this one task. So, the fitness tracker can identify when you are mapping and doing hiking related movements, so it knows when to record your steps and when not to record them. This way you get a clearer and concrete picture, so nothing gets missed out and all the facts are right there for you. So, if you are looking to improve your hiking and want to keep track of your progress over time, getting a hiking fitness tracker might be the perfect idea for you.